Studying at The English Mahdara
Ongoing courses for beginners:
- Takallum (Speaking Arabic): On January 9th 2022, we began the new takallum course, where we focus on the student’s communicative abilities through the Madina books (PDF’s will be provided). This course is for beginners who can read Arabic letters and will be held twice weekly live on zoom with Ustādh ‘Abd al-Ḥakīm. Students can still enroll and catch up with the lessons.
- Al-Ājurrūmiyyah: The classic beginner’s text for learning Arabic grammar (naḥw). This course is pre-recorded and subtitled and can be studied on-demand. We recommend beginners to take the takallum course parallel to al-Ājurrūmiyyah.
- Al-Murshid al-Mu’īn: A famous beginners book which summaries the three sciences: Islām, Imān and iḥsān (‘Aqīdah, Mālikī Fiqh & iḥsān/spirituality). This course is taught weekly by Shaykh al-Mishrī live from Mauritania with a live translator (see timings below).
- Al-Shamā´il al-Nabawiyyah: A beautiful work on The Sublime Qualities of the Prophet ﷺ. The book is taught and explained by Shaykh ‘Abdullāh (the son of Shaykh Ubbāh) and translated live. The live lessons are completed and thus the course is on-demand and can be studied at any time.
- Qurrat al-Abṣār: A poem on the sīrah of the Prophet ﷺ. This course is pre-recorded and subtitled (ongoing).
- Al-Akhḍarī: A widely-studied Mālikī fiqh text for beginners. This course is currently ongoing with Shaykh ‘Abdullah live from Mauritania with English live translation (see timings below).
- Iḍā’at al-Dujunnah: An intermediate text in ‘aqīdah. This course is comprised of pre-recorded lessons with Shaykh ‘Arafāt and live lessons with Ustādh ‘Abd al-Ḥakīm. It is a prerequisite that one has studied the basics in ‘aqīdah (such as al-Murshid al-Mu’īn) before commencing this course (ongoing).
- Qaṭr al-Nadā: An intermediate text in naḥw. This course is comprised of pre-recorded lessons with Shaykh al-Sayyid and live lessons with Ustādh ‘Abd al-Ḥakīm. It is a prerequisite that one has studied takallum and passed al-Ājurrūmiyyah before commencing this course. This course requires registering by contacting us.
- When the student has reached a certain Arabic communicative and cognitive skill, they will transit to the Arabic Mahdara (online) to study intermediate and advanced books. If the student has not yet visited the Mahdara physically, we recommend doing so during their online studies – preferably before starting the advanced books. This is important to learn the way (manhaj) of the scholars, which is only transmitted from heart to heart.
All lessons are recorded and uploaded to the website.
Live lessons timings
Al-Murshid al-Mu’īn (Ibn ‘Āshir)– المرشد المعين على الضروري من علوم الدين
درس على المباشر مع الشيخ
أيام الاثنين والثلاثاء والأربعاء والخميس الساعة 5:45 مساءً بتوقيت غرينتش
العد التنازلي حتى الدرس الحي التالي
Contacting The Scholars
Since the English Mahdara opened in 2020, we have alḥamdulillāh expanded with the following courses: al-Shamā´il, al-Murshid al-Mu’īn, al-Akhḍarī and takallum (Madina books). We strive to add new courses every year.